Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Wisdom Tooth


Maybe I'm just a late developer, but it seems that finally my wisdom teeth are making a dash for freedom!

They're looking for equality: they want to be like all the other teeth in my mouth - prominent, visible, accessible! It's a struggle for tooth rights, and to be honest, as protesters go, they're rather militant!

About 3 months ago, the upper-right side molar finally broke through gum to show a smidgeon of white. This time in my life saw me slip into a throbbing headache and earache which lasted two weeks, and was neatly followed by a head-cold! At the beginning of summer no less...

Rapidly, I booked myself in to the dentist, seeking a solution to the pain - only to be reassured that there was nothing untoward happening in my mouth, and that I should come back in 3 months time when the tooth might be extractable. Not too keen on extraction, I didn't put up any argument.

Matters calmed, and newly patient, I noticed as the tooth painlessly progressed further and further from the confines of gum, to some kind of parity with the others.

Everything was fine until last Sunday, when I woke with a throbbing in my jaw, which has now lasted for five days, rendering my eating action somewhat messy (I can't fully open my mouth) and making my speech slightly slurred! There's a swelling at the back of my jaw, and I'm waiting to see whether things calm down before another call to the dentist is made.

I probably should have called her already, but as much pain as I'm in, I'm not sure if taking the opportunity to go through more pain would be the best thing to do just yet! Although if I do have to stop doing my favourite thing - that is, eating - then I might be forced to reconsider!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home