Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The gym diaries!

The Scribbler has been going to the gym for 10 months now. There’ve been ups and downs, doubts, gaps. But somehow, my link to the gym is still going strong.

Before Scrib started going, I must confess that I was muchos lazy. I had a (bigger) beer belly. I drank more, er, beer. I had a sweet tooth (still do, but it’s been numbed of late!) Funny thing is that when I started going again, I liked it, for the first time in my life!

I don’t know what happened. I mean for one thing, I was going to a local authority gym with broken down equipment, musty changing rooms and one time, a hairdryer exploded when I was (making an attempt at) grooming myself after a particularly drawn out sesh. Alas, I was uninjured, to the disappointment of my personal injury lawyers…

But what I liked about the Oasis centre (right in the middle of the city, sporting an open air swimming pool no less!) was that there was a good atmosphere. The people were friendly. The gym being on the edge of Soho, there were a few people who put my own grooming habits to shame. But then, that’s not very difficult…

I got to know all the faces. In a huge city, it was somewhere where people didn’t always know my name, but at least I’d get the odd acknowledging nod every now and then. And because loads of deaf people went, there was always the opportunity for some simultaneous treadmill running/mirrored signing exercises…. which really burns those calories!

So lately, I was surprised when the gym unexpectedly shut down. For 4 weeks. I’d grown complacent. Maybe I hadn’t given it the full attention it deserved… though at least there was the promise of new equipment at the end. I was to go to Camden, well Mornington Crescent to be precise. New outlook.

So I went last night…

And it was rough. Skinheaded guys furiously lifting weights, lockers situated outside the changing rooms in case of break-ins… strip-lighting on a low underground ceiling. A weird feeling like it's not such a good place to go...

Makes you realize that you don’t know what you’re missing until you’ve left it... and there’s 3 weeks to go!

Ah well… I'll endeavour to keep it up. Through thick and thin...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home