Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Lifesnaps # 19 - The design museum!
















I tell ya, there's only a few places in the big smoke that you could classify as being irrefutably cool. Totally cool, like there's no doubt about it, no debate. It's not even in question. That kinda thing.

The design museum is one of those places.

















There, on the South Bank, not only can you see all the toys you miss from when you were a kid, you can see the underground map like how it used to be (all wavy rather than easy to read) and the earliest computer games. You can see the cars your Dad still tells you about every time you trip home. Ok, maybe that's not so cool after all...

















When you finally get out of the exhibition area, you then find yourself in a shop where you can buy all manner of mad little objects. Like paper curtains, flatpack ornaments, and even a magnetic paperclip holder in the shape of a hedgehog... wow! All these little things that you could stick in yer house and when you have visitors they'd just spend hours figuring out how to use them...

















Then there's the old mini, a pristinely preserved antique in fact, an obsession not only of the mystery blonde, but also my Dad, who I remember kissed goodbye to his old black mini when I was barely 5 years old. I still remember waving it goodbye! I also remember breaking my leg and Dad wrapping loads of towels on the plaster when he picked me up from the hospital... because he didn't want to stain the seat! A car that was truly loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home